Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day One - Leash training

One of my goals for 2013 is to became a dog trainer.  I have it figured if I train my three stubborn mules dogs then I could use that knowledge to help others that have behavior issues.  I started or better yet ended day one by taking Gracie and Susie for a walk.  Walking really helps with behavior issues as it helps tire the dog out and puts them in a better frame of mind for learning new commands.  Since Gracie and Susie are coming up on 8 years I am going back to the basics as if they were puppies.  Even older dogs can learn basic obedience.
One of my favorite tools for working with my dogs is the Halti lead.  It is a small halter that fits over their muzzles and fastens behind their heads below their ears.  It has a small lead with a ring on the end that you attach the leash to.  What I love about it is that when  you tug on it, it forces the dogs head sideways, much like the bridle does on a horse.  For dogs that pull like mine do, it causes them to stay back and not pull as much.  They hate it. They shake their heads and Gracie, well she thinks she is a horse and tries to go between my legs, dragging the lead against my legs practically knocking me over in the process until she gets use to it.
We managed a 15 minute walk which took us only a few blocks away from the house since we stopped often to work on not pulling and to work on sit.  They both know sit, but it hasn't been reinforced properly.  I thought this would be a good time to work on it.  They both learned quick that when we stopped I was going to say sit.  They didn't always sit, but they did look towards me, tongues wagging waiting for something to happen. 
By the end of the walk, on the way home both had stopped trying to get the leads off and were responding well to the sit command.  Gracie more so than Susie.  Susie was being a bit stubborn about sitting, and took more touching to get her to do it.  She also had a fit when she heard a car coming and didn't want to walk anymore.  I took this opportunity to work on come with her as she is the one who doesn't come at all. 
Lots and lots of praise was given and each dog went eagerly back into the pen without complaint.  This is usually a chore with me dragging one or both in as they don't want too.  I hope as we continue this training that they begin to anticipate the walks and start to pull a whole lot less.

I have a call into a professional trainer, hopefully sometime soon I get some help and some tips.  I am determined to make this work, for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment